Tuesday, February 5, 2008

In Respons to Jason & Jenny's Comment on the Previous Post

Here's the text in question from my last post: "An earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter Scale (shoutout to Mongoose) hit on the border of Rwanda and DRC this morning."

The story goes back to Junior High. I, being the incredibly bright and creative child that I was, decided to doodle a couple of characters on my gridded notebook, creating the beginnings of a potentially delightful comic book story. The characters were a dunce cowboy named Arizona Duhaus and his untrusty steed Feenicks. After consulting with my good friend Matt Morgan, we decided that there was needed a nemesis for this Duhaus character, as well as a treasure that they continually vied for and which kept them at odds. And so was born Richter Scale, the arch enemy of Arizona Duhaus, a clever, menacing fellow who would always attempt to steal away Arizona's romantic interest, Pretty Dame. Arizona, being a numbskull though he was, would always somehow outsmart Richter Scale without knowing it. And so the story would go...

After about three minutes of playing around with this concept, I emerged as the embodiment of Arizona Duhaus and Matt became Richter Scale. The names don't really have much symbolism to them, except for Pretty Dame, which is fairly self-explanatory (We labeled Ashley Rojo as Pretty Dame, not because we had a crush on her, but because she was an easy target). After another four minutes, I ran out of material and nothing really ever came of it. But throughout our high school and college years, Matt and I would regularly reminisce about the story line and wonder at its potential to become a legitimate comic strip. Matt was more dedicated to its success than I was, as he actually created a couple of scenarios in comic strip form while sitting in his engineering classes at Lamar.

So every time I hear the term "Richter Scale," I automatically think of that character and Matt's slyness, as I imagine Matt does and perhaps our other friends as well.

So that's where the shoutout comes from. The reason the shoutout went to "Mongoose" is because that is what they used to call Matt on the basketball court, either because he made high-pitched squealing noises when he was fouled or because he was really quick. I can't remember which. Maybe both.


And there is a window into my childhood.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it is fun to reminisce about that.
The only problem with your explanation is that I don't think anyone on the court (I don't think statisticians count as 'on the court') actually called me Mongoose, though I was hoping it would catch on...

Unknown said...

Youch. Low blow to the statistician.

Keep it clean gentlemen, as Coach Briggs would say. No violence please.

And to think I was the one always entering basketball stats in his class instead of learning about history, which could benefit me greatly both in conversations as of late and basic understanding of How the World Turns. Such is the failings of a girl impressed by the dashing coach/teachers of her small town.

Sam, I would come to your earthquake party if I could. Hope no harm comes to anyone-

Anonymous said...

everything about what you're doing and experiencing sounds really incredible. glad your okay too. and nice biblical reference.
question: maybe i've been teaching 8th grade too long, but do you think Matt looked up how to spell "reminisce" or spelled it cold turkey?
I wouldn't put it past him to know how to spell that, it isn't a homophone after all

Anonymous said...

2 Things:

1st - I didn't mean to slight statisticians. We needed them almost as much as towels. Not near as important as water though...or cheerleaders...or concession stand workers...

2nd - Ok, I copied and pasted sam's use of reminisce (here also). I also looked up statistician.

Matt

Anonymous said...

This post makes me even more certain that Sam is cooler than me from at least the spans of Jr. High to young adult life and probably beyond. It is also apparent that Matt is at a respectable and down right competing level of coolness.

Sam, I just had an hour long talk with Mark from food for the hungry. I think the interview went all right. Thanks for letting me name drop.

Todd

jess said...

Sam, thanks for that flashback to jr. high. I still remember Arizona Duhaus and Richter Scale, and laughed at your latest post with Pretty Dame herself. She wants to know what you mean by "easy target."

Love and light to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice flashback to the glory days of Pre-Cal. I always thought that the saga of Arizona Duhaus had more characters than that. I must be thinking of another make-believe storyline from HS... :)

Also, I'm glad that the earthquake's effect on your part of continent was minor. Much love Sammy!

Amber

Unknown said...

Samuel Adams!

Do you remember me? Well you should! I haven't read your blog in a while - you're a really good writer, did you know that?

I miss Rwanda and, though there weren't that many, my times in the office with you and Kirsten, listening to good music, and me being envious of your prized mini French Press. :( Did I ever tell you that I found one in Uganda, but it was 36,000 Shillings?! wtf!

Keep it real!

Sarah :)

Anonymous said...

Samuel. You're blogging is so extraordinary it almost makes me want to begin again. I also would love to see you start up that comic again. i think it has great potential...maybe we could use it as a promotional tool, or even in FH trainings...and also, i'm amused that I am typing this instead of just walking down the stairs and telling you! :)

Casey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

howardnick http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Vending-Machines.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Kitchen-Cabinets.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Slipcovers.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitors.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Popcorn-Machines.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Area-Rugs.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Omeprazole.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Vacuum-Cleaners.aspx

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.