Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Pains of Childbirth

"For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now."
-Romans 8:22

An earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter Scale (shoutout to Mongoose) hit on the border of Rwanda and DRC this morning. At least 30 people were killed, hundreds more injured, and they are expecting another one between 8pm and 12am (GMT +2) tonight (Sunday, Feb 3). I'm in kigali, which is about 150 miles from the epicenter. I felt it in church this morning, but no buildings collapsed and no one was injured here as far as i know. I am safe (God willing), but the word is that we are urged to not be inside between those hours just in case.

I feel sort of like having an Earthquake Party outside on the lawn, in the same spirit as those who have hurricane parties on the gulf coast, only whereas they are ordered to evacuate and don't, I'd be taking the necessary precautionary measures.

It was my first earthquake to experience, and it was quite surreal. It is a situation where you are left totally at the mercy of the trembling earth below you. I've always wondered what it would be like to experience one. Granted, I was far away from the epicenter, but the feeling of utter helplessness was very present. It was incredibly awe-inspiring and humbling, and it is a very poignant reminder of the earth groaning as in the pangs of childbirth, awaiting the revealing of the sons of God. And tonight I join in, longing for the creation to be set free from its bondage to decay and for us to know the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Oh Lord, haste the day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So thankful you're safe! I pray that all will be "quiet on the western front" tonight. Please take all precautions and stay alert and safe. Keep us posted. Love and prayers,
mom

Chase and Laura Bowers said...

Hey Sam,

This si Chase Bowers formerly of FBC BC,,,I have spent the last few years encouraging young people to be abuot what you are about now! Thankful to hear and see...Praying for you in the wake and that He indeed does haste the day. My email is readyrev@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you and will keep the blog on my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is intense.
Glad to hear you're ok and exciting to read a little about your job over there.
-Matt

J. Ballard said...

Sambo,

Please explain "shouting to mongoose."