Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kampala Musings

I'm sitting at a coffee shop in Kampala, Uganda, thinking about how epic this experience is. I just met with a Ugandan businessman and two guys from Texas who've started a business/training organization here in Kampala. We talked all about economic development in Uganda: opportunities, challenges, visions for our organizations, etc. It was very interesting and informative. A year ago I would have never imagined I would be here having these conversations, thinking critically and consequentially about how to move forward in economic development in Africa. I love it.

Kampala is a wonderful city, too. Its SO much more vibrant and active than Kigali, and there's much more to do and see and buy. I negotiated for a bicycle yesterday--a ten-year old Specialized Rockhopper fresh from Europe. The main downside of being in Kampala is that people are less apologetic about screwing over white people on taxis and motos. Its not a huge deal since I'm getting per diem traveling for work, and transport prices are a bit cheaper than Kigali anyway, but the principle is still discouraging.

In short, I'm absolutely loving my time in Kampala. It is helping me to see how incredible this overall experience is and how blessed I am to be experiencing it. Come visit and I'll share it more with you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there friend! I am a blog reader from the Philippines. I am happy to found your interesting site. It is really worth visiting.

Daniel Morchat said...

Sam.. I'm getting married and Jordan and I want you on the A-team! Oct. 18th! Email me and lets start talking again. Love, dmo

danielmorchat@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

keep sharing, we all can't come there though the thought is on our minds.

mom

Anonymous said...

Sam, good to read about your life. I'm still taking care of the blue wonder. Sounds like you're getting an upgrade though. Keep posting, you are missed.

Hanna Schmidt said...

Was it the Micklers that you met?
Life is weird.